- Visit the charming state park islands sheltered within West Sound. Neither small island have docks but they are totally uninhabited and fun to explore or as a picnic site.
- Use West Sound Marina or a nearby marina in Deer Harbor as your central base in the San Juan Islands. Both large bays have various boating services and access to other Island activities.
- The rocky and tree lined shore offers interesting kayaking opportunities within a large sheltered body of water.
What can I see and do in West Sound?
West Sound opens onto a main boat route that can take you anywhere in the San Juans. The protected bays and marinas near West Sound are a great jumping off point whichever direction you are heading. You can also access the main Orcas Island parks from the marinas here, as well as two state park islands.
- Paddle or motor out to either Victim or Skull Island. These dramatically named islands are small and without docks but make for a charming picnic site. Kids will love exploring an entirely uninhabited island.
- West Sound Marina is a full service destination for boaters throughout the San Juans. You can get everything here from engine parts, to ice and snacks.
- Take advantage of mooring and shower facilities at the Orcas Island Yacht Club which are available to members of reciprocal yacht clubs.
- You can get regular seaplane flights in and out of West Sound to other islands or the mainland.
Where is West Sound?
West Sound is near the west side of Orcas Island. Its mouth opens onto the channel between Orcas and Shaw Island, which is a main ferry route. You can easily access West Sound from nearby Deer Harbor. The main town on Orcas is in East Sound which is east from West Sound along the southern shore of Orcas Island.