- Summit Mt. Constitution on the curving paved road, stunning views await, plus a real sense of accomplishment.
- The pastoral beauty of peaceful Lopez Island offers plenty of lovely stops along the way.
- Riding San Juan Island offers great views, long stretches of pavement and plenty of parks.
Where can I go biking?
There are lots of opinions about which islands are best for biking. People often say the quiet roads and rolling hills on Lopez make it the best. Then again some people like the struggle of biking to the top of Mt. Constitution followed by the long ride down. San Juan offers miles of pavement, a lot of it curving right along the shore for stunning views. Shaw Island is small but charming and very quiet. Why not try them all?
Each island has its own unique landscape and biking experience, discover your favorite. San Juan Islands Biking can fit every skill and energy level. The quiet country roads are a joy to ride.
Friday Harbor to the west side
The ride from Friday Harbor to the west side passes small farms in the middle of the Island. Then it heads west with views of the Olympics to the south. There is one long hill before you break through to beautiful views along the gently curving shore of the west side. Here you will find several parks and beaches, all perfect for a rest stop.
- Distance: 8.9 miles
- Average Time: 1.5 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Trail Type: Country roads, one-way
- Trailhead: Start on Spring Street, which runs through the middle of Friday Harbor. Head out of town onto San Juan Valley Road. Turn left on Douglas Road and right onto Bailer Hill Road. This will turn into West Side Road and run along the shore.
Lopez Village to Agate Beach
The ride south to Agate Beach takes you along quiet country roads, passing by farms and through forest. There are several places to stop, and turns that can lengthen the ride. So grab a free map before you leave the Village. Reaching Agate Beach you will be met with great views and room to stretch out.
- Distance: 9.9 miles
- Average Time: 1.5 hours
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trail Type: Paved country roads, one-way
- Trailhead: From Lopez Village head out of town on Fisherman Bay Road. This will continue for several miles, then take a right onto Kjargarrd Road. The left onto Richardson Road and then onto Mud Bay Road, which will turn south. Stay on this until you turn right onto Mackaye Harbor Road, which will lead you right to Agate Beach.
Eastsound to Mt. Constitution
This ride on Orcas is hilly but contains some of the most dramatic beauty in the islands. Grab some snacks or a picnic in Eastsound before heading out, because you’ll want something at the top of Mt. Constitution. If the Mountain is a bit too much you can stop at the level portion of the Park, which is also quite beautiful.
- Distance: 7.7 miles, plus about 3 miles to the top of Mt. Constitution
- Average Time: 2 hours
- Elevation Gain: 2409 feet to the top of Mt. Constitution
- Difficulty: Strenuous
- Trail Type: Country roads, some can get busy in the summer, one-way
- Trailhead: From Eastsound head out of town on Olga Road. This will lead you right into the Park, from there signs point the way up the Mountain.
I am looking for a biking guide
Check out the many great bike shops, rentals and tours available in the San Juans. They often include shuttle rides and gear, so you can focus on enjoying your ride without any of the annoying logistics. Listed below are some of the fantastic bike shops and tour companies for each island.