Why should I visit San Juan Island?
San Juan Island is one of the most popular Islands for visitors. The ferry docks in downtown Friday Harbor, which is a delightful community and set up to provide tourists with anything they need. Outside of the small but busy town the Island has many parks, beaches, and endless beautiful views.
Where is San Juan Island?
San Juan Island is the last Island on the ferry route. Its long western edge looks across Haro Strait to Vancouver Island. The large park area at the southern end has views across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. From the northern side of the Island you can access outer Stuart Island or keep going all the way to the Canadian Gulf Islands.
What sort of Services and Amenities does San Juan Island offer?
San Juan Island has a wide selection of amenities and services to offer visitors.
- In the heart of Friday Harbor you will find fantastic restaurants, comfortable accommodations, and an eclectic mix of shops and galleries.
- The downtown businesses run the gamut from touristy campyness to high end northwest elegance.
- Outside of town there are also various resorts, restaurants, and B&B’s.
- Vacation rentals for every taste and budget are scattered around the Island.
What can I do or see on San Juan Island?
The really fun thing about San Juan Island is how many experiences there are so close together. You can be hiking through a towering forest, break out onto an open meadow before the sea and still make it back in time for lunch. Every adventure or sight is just a short distance away, yet they each feel unique.
- Rent a scooter and tour the coast of the Island with stops at parks and beaches along the way.
- American Camp and Lime Kiln Park are two of the Islands largest and most popular parks. Each looks in a different direction and each has its own kind of natural beauty.
- The boutiques and galleries in downtown Friday Harbor are a joy to explore, as are the hilly streets and historic buildings.
- Whale watching, kayak, fishing and bike tours can all be arranged in Friday Harbor.