Why should I visit Anacortes?
Anacortes is too often overlooked when people are headed to the islands. The historic downtown has great antique stores, local restaurants, and vintage lodging options. Wander the quiet streets, waterfront neighborhoods and lovely parks for a relaxing, ferry free, taste of the islands.
Where is Anacortes?
Anacortes is on Fidalgo Island, which is so close to the mainland that it has a bridge connecting it over the Swinomish Channel. This is where the ferries land from Victoria B.C and the San Juan Islands. From Seattle head about 80 miles north on I5 and follow signs heading west near Mount Vernon.
What sort of Services and Amenities does Anacortes offer?
Anacortes is where Islanders often go for services not available, or more expensive, in the islands. You can expect to find everything you would expect in a medium sized town.
- If you’ve been craving a fast food fix on your island vacation this is the closest locale for that.
- There are several large grocery, electronics, and automotive stores.
- Hotels, gas, and food are often cheaper here than in the islands.
What can I do or see in Anacortes?
Anacortes is a great first stop when heading to the islands, but it also makes a fun day trip when you’ve been living island style.
- Several whale watching and kayak tours leave from here.
- There is great shopping, including high-end boutiques and funky thrift stores.
- Have a meal at one of several delicious ethnic restaurants.
- Act like an island native and get all your annoying commercial errands done on the mainland before hopping on the ferry.