- This perfectly clear Lake is great for a quiet paddle or a refreshing swim.
- The level hike around the entire Lake is a great way to explore the beautiful forests of Moran State Park without having to head straight up hill.
- One of the strenuous but worthwhile hikes up Mt. Constitution starts near Mountain Lake and curves along its western shore for quite awhile.
What can I see and do at Mountain Lake?
You can hike around the circumference of Mountain Lake. The hike is mostly level and has plenty of lake and forest views.
- This crystal clear water of the Lake is perfect for swimming, although it can be quite chilly. If you don’t mind the chill there is a small island in the middle of the Lake that is fun to swim out to and then warm up on the smooth rocky shore.
- The Lake has a small boat launch but only human powered craft are allowed.
- One of the trails to the top of Mt. constitution starts at the parking lot for Mountain Lake. The trail winds along the lake before heading up the Mountain in earnest.
Where is Mountain Lake?
Mountain Lake is in the midst of Moran State Park on Orcas Island. Once you enter the park watch for signs that will point you to a smaller road heading north along the base of Mt. Constitution. To reach the Park from Eastsound head southeast on Olga road out of town and it will lead you right into the Park.
When is Mountain Lake open?
The Park is open for daytime use all year long. The Lake is very popular in the summer but because it has fewer amenities than lower Cascade Lake it never gets too busy or crowded. There are also a few campsites near Mountain Lake that are more remote than other campsites in the Park. Consider reserving one of these if you want more privacy, but be quick, they fill up fast.
How much does Mountain Lake cost?
Like almost all Washington State Parks Moran now requires as Discover Pass. The Pass can be bought for individual use at $10.00 or you can get an annual Pass for $30.00.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
The Park Rangers can help you with any questions you might have. Their office hours do vary seasonally. (360) 376-2326.