What airport should I use to access the San Juan Islands?
SeaTac International Airport
- Airport Code: SEA
- Location: From SeaTac head north on I5 and then turn west towards Anacortes near Mount Vernon. Signs will point the way to the Anacortes Ferry Landing.
- Airlines: This is a large international terminal and most domestic and many international airlines have scheduled flights here.
- Airport Services: SeaTac is a vast airport complex with many services including restaurants, gift shops and children’s play areas.
- Getting To/From the Airport: There are shuttles from the airport directly to the Anacortes Ferry Terminal. You can also catch a bus from downtown Seattle, which is about 30 minutes away. Light Rail now runs directly from SeaTac to several downtown locations. From the Seattle Amtrak station you can ride north to Mount Vernon. From there it is a short taxi ride, or long bus trip, to the Anacortes Ferry Landing
Vancouver International Airport
- Airport Code: YVR
- Location: From the Airport on Sea Island head south on 99/Vancouver Blaine Highway, cross the border and keep south on I5 through Bellingham. When you get to Burlington head west on highway 20 which will lead you to Anacortes, watch for signs to the Ferry Landing
- Airlines: Depending on where you are coming from there are occasionally flights that make the inconveniences of border crossing and distance worth it to land here on the way to the San Juans. Many international airlines and particularly Air Canada have scheduled flights here.
- Airport Services: This large international airport has many services and amenities including an extensive duty-free section.
- Getting To/From the Airport: There are some buses that leave from Vancouver and then pass through Mount Vernon. From there you can catch a quick taxi or slow bus to the Anacortes Ferry Landing. Other options include a plane from Bellingham or Vancouver to the San Juans.
Bellingham International Airport
- Airport Code: BLI
- Location: From Bellingham head south on I5. When you get to Burlington head west on highway 20 which will lead you to Anacortes, watch for signs to the Ferry Landing
- Airlines: This is a small regional airport served only by Alaska, Horizon, Allegiant, Northwest Sky Ferry, and San Juan Airlines. The last two also fly directly to the San Juans from Bellingham.
- Airport Services: This small airport does have a duty-free zone and a few other small shops.
- Getting To/From the Airport: Besides flying directly to the islands you can also go into Bellingham and catch a bus or shuttle from there to the Anacortes Ferry Landing or Mount Vernon. Car rental companies are another option.