- The majestic hilly beauty of Orcas is a lot to take in. Driving can be a great way to cover a lot of ground and find your favorite part of this great Island.
- Find your favorite shop or restaurant in the fabulous little town of Eastsound.
- Drive to the top of Mt. Constitution for stunning views of the whole archipelago.
- Check out the work of skilled local artists at the gallery in Olga.
- Stop for dinner or just a tour at the Historic Moran Mansion at Rosario Resort.
Why should I drive the Orcas Island driving tour?
Orcas Island is the largest and hilliest of the San Juans. Driving is a great way to see all the sights and still make it back in time for the afternoon or evening ferry.
- The first stop is Eastsound, this small community has fantastic restaurants and great little boutique stores. The dense little town is fun to explore on foot and includes a couple small parks. There is often live music on the Village Green during the summer.
- Moran State Park is east of town on Olga Road. Moran has both strenuous and easy hiking trails but you can also drive to the top of Mt. Constitution. This is the highest peak in the islands and offers panoramic views that will take your breath away.
- From the Park keep going on Olga Road until you reach the tiny Hamlet of Olga. This charming little community has few services but is fun to explore. Check out the local artists cooperative which also has a small café.
- Rosario Resort is the last stop on this driving tour. If you go in the afternoon this would be a great place to have dinner. Moran Mansion is by far the most lavish historic building in the islands. Today visitors can dine here and enjoy the amazing views and surroundings.
Where does the Orcas Island driving tour begin and end?
The tour begins at the Ferry Landing and runs through the farms and forest of the Island before reaching the small town of Eastsound. From there the route leads into the wooded hills of Moran State Park and up to the views atop Mt. Constitution. Continue on Olga Road to the Hamlet of the same name. On the way back stop at Rosario Resort to check out the amazing architecture and landscaping. The food is great too.
How long does the Orcas Island driving tour take to drive?
The tour could be done in a little more than an hour but it’s worth it to linger at the various stops. Why not spend an afternoon exploring the Island’s unique beauty? You’d have plenty of time to catch an evening ferry home. Or you could spend the night at one of the many great little B&Bs.