The San Juan Islands’ July Fourth celebrations are low key, but tons of fun. The community comes together with salmon bakes, barbeques, fun runs, outstanding fireworks and very enthusiastic parades.
Organization: San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau
Date: 07/03/2013 update info
Time: 1:00:00 PM - 1:00:00 PM
Event Cost: Free
Venue: Various Locations in San Juan Island ,WA
Contact: San Juan Island Chamber
July 3-6 is a whirlwind of old-fashioned parades, celebrations and fireworks on Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Islands!
July 3 - Deer Harbor Fireworks Display, Orcas Island
July 4 - Orcas Island 4th of July Festival & Fireworks Celebration, Eastsound
July 4 - Lopez Island 4th of July Old-Fashioned Parade & 26 Years of Fireworks
July 4 - Hamburger Barbecue on Lopez Island
July 4 - Roche Harbor Old-Fashioned July 4th, San Juan Island
July 4 - San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce 4th of July Celebration
July 4 - Annual Pig War Picnic, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island
July 6 - Orcas Island Community Parade, Eastsound
When are the Fourth of July celebrations?
The parades start in the morning on Orcas, Lopez and San Juan Island. The food starts with breakfast and continues into the evening. The fireworks go off in tandem around 10pm, when it finally gets dark. It will be tough to get to all the fun without your own plane!
- Pig war picnic in Friday Harbor following the parade
- Lunch and dinner at the fire station in Friday Harbor
- Live music at the Port of Friday Harbor until the fireworks start.
- Breakfast at the fire station in Eastsound on Orcas Island
- Salmon lunches follow the parades in Eastsound, on Orcas Island, and also in Lopez village.
Where are the Fourth of July celebrations?
Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Island all have their own festivities.
- Friday Harbor has the most exciting series of events, with lots of music and different places to eat and watch the fireworks from.
- Lopez Village caters to a lot of locals and has what many consider the best fireworks.
- Orcas is somewhere in between, with lots of fun family activities going on in the hamlet of Eastsound.
- Roche Harbor on San Juan Island also has its own special events, and evening fireworks
How much do the Fourth of July celebrations cost?
The parades and firework displays are all free, though donations keep the fireworks going year to year. The delicious, community run, outdoor restaurants all offer reasonably priced food, $7-20.00 for adults. The proceeds benefit local charities, and the fireworks! Kids eat for less at all the different locations.
What else should I know about the Fourth of July celebrations?
From the parades to the giant family style meals, this is a great way to get to know the local communities. This is small town America at its best and the citizens welcome all comers on this day of national unity. And the fireworks!